Discover The Earth
Knowledge is for passing on. The more we delve into a subject or speak about it to others we gain more understanding about the diversity in it. The Earth is a formation of several factors like geography, life and atmospheric rules. It’s a deep knowledge to understand that so many things make the earth go round and we need to understand the dangers that ecology and environment is facing. What makes snow, why grass grows, why earth revolves is all about knowledge and answers are being found each day by scientists.
1) The age of earth is 4.6 billion years.
2) Being the 5th largest amongst the 9 planets, it is 3rd planet located from the sun.
3) Earth comprises of 70% water.
4) 12,742 kms is the average diameter of the Earth.
5) The year on Earth is 365.25 days long.
6) The hottest place on earth recorded is El Azizia, Libya with the highest temperature of 57.8 degree Celsius.
7) The river Nile in Africa is the longest river on the Earth. It is 4,160 miles long.
8) The driest place on earth is Arica in Chile.
9) About 1 million earthquakes occur every year in the earth, but most of them are not registered.
10) The coldest, driest and highest continent is the Antarctica.
11) The average depth of the oceans is 2 miles.
12) The speed at which sun rays reach the earth is 8 minutes and 3 seconds.
13) Vostok in Antarctica is the coldest place on earth with a recorded temperature of -89 degree Celsius.
14) Mt Everest in Nepal is the highest mountain.
15) Lloro, Colombia is the wettest place on Earth, with a recorded rainfall of 523.6 inches.
16) The Pacific Ocean is the largest ocean on Earth covering 64 million sq miles.
17) More than 3 quarters of the surface of earth is of volcanic origin.
18) 1/3rd of earth’s surface comprises of deserts.
19) The world’s largest desert is the Sahara Desert situated in Northern Africa.
20) About 4,000 minerals in the earth surface are known.
21) Commonwealth bay in Antarctica is the windiest place in the world.
22) The oceans on the surface of the earth make the planet look blue from space. Hence, Earth is many a times referred to as Blue Planet.
23) Food can be grown on only 11% of the surface on earth.
24) In comparison to the other planets, earth has only 1 moon.
25) The depth of the earth’s crust is 5 miles.
26) Bacteria are the oldest fossils known. They are about 3,500 million years old.
27) The density of Earth is the highest in the solar system.