Each state in India, is full of surprises. There are so many scenic areas that are yet to be exploited. Locales for film shoots are exclusive even in the remote places like Bundi in Rajasthan. India has a rich heritage that is recognized all over the world and our tradition is rich with folklore, handicrafts, mythology. Patriotism is high at all times and not just on national days. For a student, it is a marvel to know about India and simultaneously also understand the progress we are making in the field of science and basic living.
1) India is located in the continent Asia.
2) India became free on 15th August 1947. Since then the day is celebrated as the Independence Day. Our constitution was adopted on 26th January 1950. This day is celebrated as Republic Day.
3) The total land area of India is 3.29 million sq.kms.
4) The name INDIA is derived from the River Indus.
5) The Indian republic comprises of 28 states and 7 Union territories (UT).
6) The capital of India is Delhi.
7) The population of India according to the 2001 census is 1,027 million.(the population is counted after every 10 years).
8) India’s time zone is GMT+51/2 hrs.
9) The currency of the country is called Rupee.
10) India is the 7th largest country according to geographical area.
11) After China, India is the second most populous country.
12) India’s parliamentary system of democracy is similar to that of the British parliamentary system.
13) Jana Gana Mana is the national anthem of India which was composed by Rabindranath Tagore. The duration of the anthem is 52 seconds.
14) Vande Mataram is the national song which was composed by Bankimchandra Chatterjee. It is in Sanskrit.
15) Tiger is the national animal while Peacock is the national bird. Lotus is the national flower.
16) The 8th schedule in the Indian constitution involves 22 different languages. Hindi and English are the national and official languages of India.
17) India is a religious country and comprises of 2 major religions, Hindu and Muslims.
18) The bordering countries of India are Bangladesh, Bhutan,Burma,China, Nepal and Pakistan.
19) The total coastline of India is 7000 kms.
20) In the north of India, is the highest mountainous range in the world, the Himalayas.
21) There are 65,000 varieties of animal species in the country and 12,000 different species of flowers.
22) Sundarbans in the east of India is the largest mangroves in the world. It is located along the coast of Bay of Bengal.
23) Amongst the games, India has invented Chess.
24) The studies of Trigonometry, Algebra and Calculus were invented in India.